Managing software licenses is an essential aspect of IT asset management, and getting it right can save your organization time, money, and legal complications. Today, we will focus on AssetIT, an IT Asset Management app for Jira, which makes license management a breeze.
What is License Management?
In a nutshell, license management is the process of monitoring, controlling, and maintaining software licenses within an organization. This process involves keeping track of the software’s life cycle, from its acquisition to its retirement, ensuring that the organization complies with the terms and conditions of the license agreement, and preventing any potential legal issues.
The Importance of Effective License Management
Effective license management is crucial for several reasons:
- Cost Savings: By accurately tracking and managing your software licenses, you can avoid overspending on unnecessary licenses and maintenance contracts.
- Legal Compliance: Non-compliance with software licensing agreements can lead to legal issues, financial penalties, and reputational damage. Effective license management ensures you are always following your software usage rights.
- Risk Mitigation: Effective license management helps prevent software audit failures and protects your organization from the risks associated with unlicensed software, such as malware or other security threats.
- Optimized Software Utilization: License management helps you understand your software usage better, which can lead to more strategic and efficient software allocation.
Why Use AssetIT for License Management
AssetIT takes the complexity out of license management. Here’s why it should be your go-to tool for managing software licenses:
- Integrated Solution: AssetIT is fully integrated with Jira, one of the most popular project management tools, allowing for seamless management of your assets within your existing workflows.
- Efficient Tracking: With AssetIT, you can track all your licenses in one place. It allows you to monitor the number of available licenses, their expiry dates, and their compliance status.
- Ease of Use: AssetIT’s user-friendly interface simplifies the process of creating, editing, and managing licenses
How to Manage Licenses in AssetIT
Let’s dive into the practical side of things – how to manage your licenses in AssetIT. Navigating to the License Details Screen
To navigate to the License Details screen
- Go to the ‘License’ tab in AssetIT.
- Click on the name of the license you wish to view. This will take you to the License Details screen for the selected license.
The License Details screen comprises of two key sections: ‘License Info’ and ‘License Seats’.
The License Info section displays all the pertinent information about a specific license. This includes details such as the product name, serial, expiry date, purchase date, supplier, among other things. You can use this information to better understand the specifics of your licenses, including terms and conditions, usage rights, and limitations.
The License Seats section is where you can check out seats to users or assets, and check them back in when they are no longer needed
- Checking Out: To assign a seat of a license to a user or an asset
- Checking In: To return a seat that is no longer needed
Create a New License
- Navigate to Create License: On the License Page, click on the ‘Create New’ button. This will take you to the ‘Create License’ page.
- Fill in the Mandatory Fields: The Create License form will require you to fill in certain mandatory fields. These typically include:
- Submit the Form: After you’ve filled in all the necessary fields, click on the ‘Submit’ button to save the license.
Check Out a License
Assigning a license to a user or an asset—also known as “checking out” a license—is a crucial aspect of license management.
- Go to the Checkout License Screen: On the License Details screen, click on the ‘Checkout’ button. This will take you to the ‘Checkout License’ screen.
- Select User or Asset: In the ‘Checkout License’ screen, you’ll need to select the user or asset to which you want to assign the license.
- If you’re assigning the license to a user, you’ll typically need to enter their name or username.
- If you’re assigning the license to an asset, you’ll need to specify the asset by its name, ID, or another identifier.
- Check out the License: Once you’ve selected the user or asset, click on the ‘Checkout’ button to complete the process.
Now, the license has been checked out to the selected user or asset. You can see this reflected in the License Seats section of the License Details screen, where the checked-out seat will be marked as assigned to the selected user or asset.
Tips and Tricks
- Make sure to keep your license details up-to-date to maintain an accurate representation of your license situation.
- Regularly review your licenses to identify any unused or underused ones. This can help optimize your software utilization and save costs.
- Use the “Check Out” feature to keep track of license assignments
- Set reminders for license expiry dates to ensure timely renewals and avoid lapses in software usage.
- Frequently back up your AssetIT data to prevent any potential loss.
Effective license management is a non-negotiable aspect of IT asset management, and with AssetIT, it becomes a simpler, more streamlined task. With this powerful app integrated into your Jira workspace, managing licenses can shift from being a burdensome task to a well-organized, cost-saving process.
Get started with AssetIT today and explore its wide range of features beyond license management. From tracking hardware assets to managing software usage, AssetIT is your all-in-one solution for IT asset management.
If you have any questions or need any help, don’t hesitate to contact our support desk. We’re here to make your experience with AssetIT as smooth and beneficial as possible. Happy managing!
Remember: effective license management with AssetIT is not just about compliance; it’s about optimizing software usage and maximizing your IT investment. Embrace the power of AssetIT and transform your license management today.